MediaWiki Stakeholders Conference Track
Fantastic MediaWikis and How to Maintain Them
A one-day conference track for MediaWiki stakeholders at the Wikimedia Hackathon in Vienna, Austria
Friday, 19 May 2017 – Vienna, Austria
11:30 to 18:00 (11:30 am to 6 pm)
JUFA Hotel Wien City
Mautner-Markhof-Gasse 50, 1110 Vienna
What’s it about?
„Fantastic MediaWikis and How to Maintain Them“ is a one-day conference track designed for people who work with the open source software MediaWiki in their organization, company or business. The conference track is curated by the MediaWiki Stakeholders Group and hosted by Wikimedia Austria.
The track is part of Wikimedia’s biggest annual tech-event, the Wikimedia Hackathon: For three days each year, about 200 developers come together to improve MediaWiki. Among the participants are coders from the Wikimedia Foundation as well as volunteers from all over the world. (Find out more about the Wikimedia Hackathon 2017 on MediaWiki.org.)
Connect to the source(code) in Vienna
We’re using this opportunity to connect the people who work with MediaWiki in their enterprise, company, or organization to the people who actually develop the code. We invite all MediaWiki stakeholders – power-users, maintainers, and service providers, who have a professional or semi-professional interest in the software – to join us for a day full of MediaWiki knowledge and networking!
5 reasons why you should attend
- Access the network: This is a perfect opportunity to connect to the volunteer developers as well as employees from the Wikimedia Foundation. Engage with the people who write the code behind the software you are using.
- Get inspired by use cases: Learn about specific challenges that other wiki-maintainers had, and what they did to solve them.
- Discover new business ideas: Gather arguments why MediaWiki as an open source software can be beneficial for your company and your clients.
- Share knowledge: Meet other stakeholders, exchange stories about what worked – and what didn’t – and benefit from each other’s experience.
- Learn new skills: Two hands-on tutorials and a workshop, guided by our MediaWiki experts bring you up to speed with the technology.
Plus: If you stay until after dinner, there will be karaoke…
10:00 Wikimedia Hackathon Opening Session (you’re welcome to attend)
11:30 Opening Keynote by Markus Glaser and Richi Heigl (MediaWiki Stakeholders Group)
12:00 Use Cases
13:00 Lunch break
17:00 Panel Discussion
19:00 Karaoke Night
Call for Participation
Curated by the MediaWiki Stakeholders Group, we are specifically looking for contributions of your experience in running MediaWikis. These include, but are not confined to:
- Use Cases. Tell us how and why you use MediaWiki in a specific area or to solve a specific problem. Proposed duration: 15-30 minutes. Format: presentation.
- Best Practices. Talk about the most effective way you have found to use particular MediaWiki features. Proposed duration: 30 minutes. Format: presentation or workshop.
- Enhancements. Did you improve MediaWiki to fit your needs? Show us your solution. Proposed duration: 30 minutes. Format: presentation or workshop.
- Challenges. How can we all add to MediaWiki functionality? Do you have specific ideas you want to collaborate on? Proposed duration: 30 minutes. Format: presentation or workshop.
The proposed format is either a presentation, a tutorial or a workshop.
- In a presentation, you talk to the audience in order to show them something you have made.
- In a tutorial, you teach the audience how to do something in or with MediaWiki.
- In a workshop, you work together with the audience in order to produce a result or push an issue forward.
Share your experience!
Read more and submit your ideas for participation:
>> mediawiki.org <<
How much is it?
There is no conference fee. For people who are working with MediaWiki commercially, we kindly suggest a contribution towards our expenses of € 45, which covers costs for food and drinks, or, should your budget allow it, even a sponsor-ticket of € 90. This decision is entirely up to you – we are happy to welcome you to our event!
Register to attend!
Note: People attending the Wikimedia Hackathon are welcome to attend the stakeholder’s conference track and vice versa. If you want to stay until Saturday or Sunday, it’s necessary that you register for the Wikimedia Hackathon separately.